RINGLE — The cause of a Sunday afternoon fire at the Marathon County Landfill in Ringle is not yet clear, though officials say hot coals or a discarded battery could be to blame.

Crews worked for several hours to extinguish the blaze. Ringle Fire Chief told reporters that firefighters have been to the landfill multiple times in recent months.

No one was injured in the blaze, which at one point had flames nearly 20 feet high. Thick smoke could be seen for several miles. Fire crews remained at the scene for hours to watch for potential flare-ups.

Marathon County Solid Waste Director Melissa Johnson said a cell phone battery could have caused the blaze. Batteries no longer strong enough to power a cell phone often have enough “juice” to start a fire.

(Reporting and photos contributed by Wayne Gauger)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.