MARSHFIELD — A Christmas Eve fire that killed one dog and injured the dog’s owner was likely caused by smoke, according to the Marshfield Fire Department.

Crews were called to the blaze at 9:15 p.m. Sunday in a second story apartment on Central Avenue in Marshfield, where they rescued one man but were unable to save a dog inside. The man was taken to the Marshfield Medical Center and later transferred to a Madison-area hospital, police said.

The man has since been released.

The fire started in the living room and spread, badly damaging the apartment. A tavern below the apartment sustained water damage as well, authorities said.