Editor’s note: This story, first posted in late January, is being republished in response to reader feedback. Thanks to our LION partner, Berkleyside, for the information in this story.
When Facebook announced last month it will show users more posts from friends and family, while hiding the news, the Wausau Pilot and Review team — along with publishers around the nation — were disturbed. It’s ironic that Facebook’s so-called “News Feed” will now suppress news stories rather than help people find them.
Our team works hard to bring the community the stories that matter, and to connect with readers on our Facebook page. Wausau Pilot and Review has spent a significant amount of time and resources building our Facebook presence because it has historically been such an important megaphone for us in terms of how some readers come to our site. But times are changing, and we have to change with them.
On the bright side, if you’d still like to see Wausau Pilot and Review stories on Facebook, there are some simple steps you can take. Not a Facebook reader? Keep scrolling, because we have tips below that will help you, too.
5 tips to stay plugged into Wausau Pilot and Review
(1) CHOOSE ‘SEE FIRST’ On the Wausau Pilot and Review Facebook page, click the “Follow” button (it may say “Following”) and make sure “See First” is checked. You can do the same on a mobile device following essentially the same steps.
(2) BOOKMARK Bookmark the Wausau Pilot and Review Facebook page (we find this link to be the best view). Like what you see there? Please comment and share our posts, which helps us get greater visibility. The Bookmarks menu appears at the top of the browser. On a Mac, the shortcut to create a bookmark is command+D from any website you like.
(3) BOOKMARKS BAR Put Wausau Pilot and Review’s website or Facebook page in your “bookmarks bar” (Chrome) for easy access. It’s called “Favorites” on Safari and “Bookmarks Toolbar” on Firebox. That way you can find our page with just one click. When you’re saving your bookmark, just make sure to choose the location that works best for you.
4) PHONE HOME SCREEN Not a Facebook user but want to access our content quickly on mobile? Put Wausau Pilot and Review on your home screen.
Here’s how it works.
- In Safari, click one of the following links to open Wausau Pilot and Review’s homepage
- Tap the “share” button at the bottom of your screen
- Tap the “add to home screen” option
- Give the shortcut a name you’ll remember, and click “add”
- Find Wausau Pilot and Review right on your home screen and click on it to visit us anytime
(5) NEWS IN YOUR INBOX Sign up for the Wausau Pilot and Review Daily Briefing (and other newsletters) to get our headlines right in your email inbox.
If you’re a fan of our work, and would like to support us, please share our stories on social media, NextDoor and email. On Facebook, your comments, shares and likes will help us avoid losing readers.
Have other thoughts or questions about how best to access Wausau Pilot & Review? Let us know in the comments.