LAKE ELMO, Minn. — A 54-year-old Wausau native and 1982 Marathon High School graduate is dead following a two-car crash in Minnesota.

Robert Bursik, now of Amery, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash. A Wisconsin truck driver was using his smartphone before crashing into Bursik, who was stopped at a red light Tuesday on a highway in Lake Elmo, police said.

The impact was so violent that officers were unable to determine the make or model of the severely damaged car that came to rest against a cable median barrier in the eastbound lanes of Hwy. 36 at Lake Elmo Avenue.

Bursik was extracted from the vehicle after it had been towed from the scene, according to a criminal complaint filed Wednesday in Washington County District Court.

Truck driver Samuel Wayne Hicks, 28, of Independence, Wis., was charged with criminal vehicular homicide, operating a motor vehicle in a grossly negligent manner in connection with the crash.

Hicks made no effort to stop, was going 63 miles per hour and had been on the phone for eight seconds before he struck Bursik’s vehicle, later determined to be a Toyota Scion, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Police say Hicks had been driving since 4:45 a.m. and was familiar with the highway, as he drove it about once a week. He told investigators that from a distance he observed a green light at Lake Elmo Avenue. He said he was distracted by another vehicle and turned to look before he plowed into the back of Bursik’s car, pushing the rear end of the Scion as far forward as the driver’s side door. Hicks later admitted that he was using his phone while texting with his girlfriend and using the Zillow real estate app to look up information about a house.

Bursik was the founder and owner of Dragonfly Gardens, a nursery and greenhouse with locations in Amery and Turtle Lake. For the past 20 years, Bursik had been an instructor in the Biology Department at North Hennepin Community College in Brooklyn Park where he also served as an advisor for the college’s Student Environmental Association.

He developed his love for plants as a child while working in his parents’ greenhouse, Bursik’s Greenhouse, in Rib Mountain, Wis. There he was referred to as “?‘the boy’ by customers who sought him out for his knowledge, passion and charm,” his online obituary reads.

Hicks was treated for his injuries at the scene and released. If convicted, Hicks could be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison and/or $20,000 in fines.

Bursik is survived by his wife, Jessica, and three children.