WAUSAU — About 100 students, campus faculty and staff members, and community members attended a ceremony this week to unveil a new sign at UW- Stevens Point at Wausau. In addition, UW-Stevens Point Chancellor Bernie Patterson, Campus Executive Ann Herda-Rapp, Wausau Mayor Rob Mielke and Marathon County Board Chairperson Kurt Gibbs spoke at the event.
The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents approved name changes in August for the UW-Stevens Point’s new branch campuses in Wausau and Marshfield.
UW-Marathon County, located in Wausau and founded in 1933, is now the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point at Wausau. UW-Marshfield/Wood County, founded in 1964, is the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point at Marshfield. All 13 two-year campuses of the UW Colleges are now part of seven larger, four-year UW System universities. UW System restructuring, proposed by President Ray Cross and approved by the Board of Regents, became effective July 1, according to a UWSP news release.
The new names for the Wausau and Marshfield campuses reflect public comments and input from central Wisconsin stakeholders, including manufacturers, financial, medical and other professional service organizations, campus foundation boards, local government officials, K-12 administrators, nonprofit organizations and young professional groups.
The academic profile of both campuses is likely to change, with the expansion of undergraduate and graduate degrees. The university plans to offer the M.B.A. in Wausau and health care-based programs on the Marshfield campus in partnership with Marshfield Clinic.
Photo courtesy UW-Stevens Point.