The Marathon County Public Library will host several events in the coming weeks at its various libraries.
- The Raptor Education Group, Inc. will visit the Marathon County Public Library from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Oct. 16 at the library’s Wausau Headquarters, 300 N. First St., Wausau. The group will talk about owls, eagles, hawks and other raptors, and share info about what they all do. Some live raptors will visit, too Free. Call 715-261-7230 for more info.
- Kids, tweens and teens will use chopsticks, markers and other craft supplies to make their very own magic wand – just like Harry Potter’s – during a free craft event from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 18 at the Rothschild Branch, 211 Grand Ave., Rothschild. All supplies provided. For more info, call 715-359-6208.
- Tim Van Deelen, deer hunter and professor of wildlife ecology at UW-Madison, will discuss the effects of wolves on the state’s deer population during a talk from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Oct. 18 at the Wausau Headquarters, 300 N. First St., Wausau. Free. Call 715-261-7230 for more info.
- Members of the Wausau Paranormal Research Society will speak about haunted spots around central Wisconsin during a free presentation from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 18. at the Mosinee Branch, 123 Main St., Mosinee. The group will play audio recordings of the dead and will offer a short Q&A. Call 715-693-2144 for more info.
- NEW! Children of all ages, and their parents or caregivers, can make a variety of autumn crafts during the Fall Craft Day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 19 at the Marathon City Branch, 515 Washington St., Marathon City. Free, with all supplies provided. Call 715-443-2775 for more info.
- NEW! Kids and families can put their problem-solving and intuition skills to the test and try to escape from a pop-up escape room from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 22 at the Edgar Branch, 224 S. Third Ave., Edgar. Free. Families can register for a time slot by calling 715-352-3155.
- NEW! See a free screening of the documentary “In Search of America” from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Oct. 23 at the Wausau Headquarters, 300 N. First St., Wausau. The film features interviews with Americans across the country, who talk about what matters to them most. The film’s director, Marc Kornblatt, will also be in attendance at the event. Free. Call 715-261-7230 for more info.
- NEW! Attend a fall and Halloween-themed story time that’s more silly than scary from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Oct. 23 at the Rothschild Branch, 211 Grand Ave., Rothschild. Attendees can sing songs, play games, hear seasonal stories and make some not-too-spooky masks. Free, with all supplies provide. Call 715-359-6208 for more info.
- NEW! Adults and teens are invited to make their own masquerade masks during a special craft event at the Athens Branch, 221 Caroline St., Athens. Stop in any time the branch is open from October 24-26 to make your own mask, with all supplies provided. Free. Call 715-257-7292 for more info.
- NEW! Monsters, ghosts and ghouls big and small are invited to a special story time and party from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Oct. 25 at the Marathon City Branch, 515 Washington St., Marathon City. Hear library staff read Halloween stories, sing songs and make some Halloween-themed crafts. Free. Call 715-443-2775 for more information.
- NEW! Kids can enjoy a paw-some afternoon dedicated to pets and pet crafts from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 25 at the Wausau Headquarters, 300 N. First St., Wausau. During Pet Palooza, kids can read to a therapy dog, make pet-themed crafts and participate in other activities. Free. Call 715-261-7220 for more info.
Photos courtesy Marathon County Public Library.