fbpx

More news. Less fluff. All local.

Crews battle chimney fire in Merrill

in Sirens

MERRILL — Crews in Merrill battled the second chimney fire in a five-day span, prompting fire officials to caution residents about the importance of chimney maintenance.

The blaze was reported at about 7 p.m. in the 1300 block of Matthews Street, according to a Merrill Fire Department release. When crews arrived, flames were seen coming from the chimney and all residents had been safely evacuated, officials said.

Merrill firefighters extinguished the fire in the wood stove and cleaned out the chimney from the roof. No injuries were reported, and residents were able to return to the home after the blaze was extinguished.

Battalion Chief Scott Krause is encouraging residents burning wood this winter to have their chimneys cleaned if they haven’t done so already.

“It’s easy to get complacent with chimney maintenance, but a chimney fire could spread into the rest of your house if you don’t keep it maintained,” Krause said.

Top photo: Courtesy of Merrill Fire Department

Latest from Sirens

Go to Top
%d bloggers like this: