WAUSAU — A five-day jury trial for the 26-year-old man accused in the near-fatal stabbing of a Wausau man has been postponed until May, according to court records.
Aidan Dobbe, of Wausau, faces charges of attempted first-degree intentional homicide and remains jailed on a $750,000 cash bond. Trial dates had been set to begin in April.
According to the criminal complaint, Dobbe was celebrating his 25th birthday on Sept. 24, 2017 when he had a verbal altercation with the victim that quickly escalated, according to court documents. Witnesses told police Dobbe and the victim, a then-23-year-old man with whom Dobbe had once lived, argued verbally before slapping each other outside a Third Street tavern minutes before the stabbing took place. Dobbe then walked away and into a nearby parking lot with the victim trailing behind.
When the victim’s friends next saw him, he was bleeding from the chest and collapsed on the ground. Police were called to the scene at about 1 a.m. Sept. 25, 2017 at the corner of Third and Jefferson Streets.
When the victim arrived at a local hospital, he was bleeding internally and in critical condition, court documents show. Without surgery and numerous blood transfusions, the victim would not have survived, police said.
As the victim was undergoing surgery, officers were setting up a perimeter around Dobbe’s house on S. 9th Ave. when they saw Dobbe approach, carrying a 6-foot metal pole. Officers pulled their weapons and ordered Dobbe to the ground, and he was taken into custody.
On March 11, Circuit Judge LaMont Jacobson granted a prosecutor’s request for an adjournment of the trial, overruling objections by Brian Bennett, a defense attorney representing Dobbe. The suspect’s trial is now set to begin May 20.