The Wisconsin Department of Transportation provides weekly road construction updates for counties in North Central Wisconsin: Adams, Green Lake, Florence, Forest, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Oneida, Portage, Price, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara and Wood.
The following updates are for the week of Sept. 8. Construction schedules are dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction progress. This update can also be viewed online: https://projects.511wi.gov/weeklyupdates-nc/
Highway: WIS 13
Location: Golden Avenue to Gillette Drive, Town of Dell Prairie
Schedule: September 9, 2019 to September 27, 2019
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter flagging operations during milling and paving.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Traffic control sign placement, milling operations, shoulder shaping and asphalt paving.
Highway: US 2
Location: Michigan state line to Pewaubic Street in Florence
Schedule: August 19, 2019 to September 9, 2019
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: This project is complete. Crews will be in the area completing punch-list items.
Green Lake County
Highway: WIS 49
Location: WIS 23 to South street (Green Lake to Berlin)
Schedule: May 13, 2019 to October 15, 2019
Traffic impacts: Shoulders will be closed at various locations in addition to intermittent flagging operations throughout the project. Traffic will be periodically operating on milled and/or pulverized roadway surfaces.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will finish pulverizing between WIS 23 and Forest Ridge Road and pave the lower layer. Crews will also be installing guardrail at various locations throughout the project.
Highway: WIS 86
Location: Between Price County line (County YY) and the Wisconsin River Bridge in Tomahawk
Schedule: June 12, 2019 to October 17, 2019
Traffic impacts: Traffic on WIS 86 is reduced to a single lane with the use of flaggers during grading and asphalt patching operations. All traffic lanes will be opened at the end of each work day.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Asphalt paving.
Highway: WIS 17 and WIS 86
- WIS 17 over Big Hay Meadow Creek between Merrill & Bloomville
- WIS 86 over Wisconsin River (Lake Mohawksin) in the City of Tomahawk
Schedule: July 16, 2019 to May 2020
- Traffic on WIS 17 will be reduced to a single lane with the use of temporary traffic signals over Big Hay Meadow Creek.
- Temporary traffic signals on WIS 86 have been removed. They will be reinstalled on Monday, September 16, after Tomahawk Fall Ride.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Beam guard installation on WIS 86 and landscaping on WIS 17 and WIS 86.
Highway: WIS 29
Location: WIS 29 eastbound at the Alderson Street
Schedule: September 9, 2019 to September 20, 2019
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter one lane of traffic on EB STH 29 between Bus 51 and Alderson Street. Temporary, regulatory speed limit of 55 mph will be posted during work operations.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Work is tentatively scheduled to begin on September 9, 2019.
Highway: County WW (Local Project)
Location: Wisconsin River Bridge, Brokaw (Village of Maine)
Schedule: April 22, 2019 to May 22, 2020
- Traffic is currently maintained on a single lane, 10.5 feet in width, on the existing bridge with temporary traffic signals. Half of the bridge deck will be removed and constructed.
- During placement of the concrete for the Stage 2 bridge deck pour, County WW will be closed to traffic and be detoured. The Stage 2 closure is scheduled for Friday, September 6 beginning at 6 a.m. to the following Monday, September 9, 2019 at 6 a.m. The detour will use US 51 to Bridge Street to County W.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will wet cure the new concrete deck, perform saw cutting, form walls and remove concrete approaches and pavement.
Highway: WIS 23
Location: City of Montello
Schedule: April 15th, 2019 to November 15th, 2019
Traffic impacts: WIS 23 is closed from Park Street to Ellis Street. Park Street will be closed, but the intersection of Ellis Street will remain open. Traffic from Morningside Court to Elis Street has been moved to the temporary widening. There is one lane in each direction. Lane widths have been reduced to 11’ with a 2’ paved shoulder.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week:
- Pour concrete sidewalks and driveways in Stage 3 (Lake Ave to Barry Street)
- Complete removals for the north half of STH 23 in Stage 5 (Ellis Street to Morningside Court)
- Start sanitary sewer installation for Stage 5 (Ellis Street to Morningside Court)
- Graded and installed aggregate base for roadway in Stage 4 (Barry Street to Ellis Street)
- Pave asphaltic binder for Stage 3 (Lake Ave to Barry Street)
- Complete sanitary sewer for Stage 5 (Ellis Street to Morningside Court)
- Complete water main and storm sewer installation for Stage 4 (Barry Street to Ellis Street)
Highway: US 8 and WIS 47 intersection
Location: City of Rhinelander
Schedule: June 10, 2019 to October 18, 2019
Traffic impacts: All four legs of the roundabout are open, and detours have been removed. Motorists will still encounter flagging operations, shoulder closures, and single lane closures.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will continue constructing the new right turn lanes from US 8 eastbound and Kemp Street westbound along with underlaying storm sewer. Crews will also continue restoration work, begin building a block retaining wall and finish pouring curb and gutter, sidewalk and truck aprons.
Highway: US 51 (NC Region-Wide Bridge Maintenance) (NEW)
Location: Minocqua Lake, Oneida County
Schedule: September 4, 2019 to October 4, 2019
Traffic impacts: All work for this stage will be done in Lake Minocqua, and there will be no traffic impacts. There will be boating buoys and traffic thru lanes laid out.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will place work barges and boat and start to work on the pier and north abutment.
Oneida and Vilas counties
Highway: US 51
Location: 3rd Avenue to Tuckaway Drive
Schedule: Spring 2018 to November 2019
Traffic impacts: US 51 is reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction from Wallace Road to WIS 70. Traffic on US 51 is restricted to a 12-foot maximum width. Motorists should expect to encounter occasional flagging operations. Motorists are encouraged to consider using WIS 47 as an alternate route to avoid delays at peak tourist travel times.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will shift northbound traffic onto the new southbound inside lane. Crews will begin removing the remainder of the old pavement and install new water main in spot locations.
Highway: US 10
Location: From I-39 to County E, west of I-39
Description: Crews will place polymer overlays on six bridge decks; three on eastbound and three on westbound US 10.
Schedule: August 19, 2019 to mid-September 2019.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter lane closures in both directions on US 10. A regulatory speed limit reduction will be implemented with the project. The speed limit will be reduced from 65 mph to 55 mph.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will finish eastbound, driving lane polymer overlays and start westbound and eastbound polymer overlay, passing lane.
Highway: Business 51
Location: Mac Arthur Way – Minnesota Avenue
Schedule: March 18, 2019 to Spring 2020
- Pedestrian traffic can resume utilizing the sidewalk on the east side of Business 51 and the south side of County HH.
- Tommy’s Turnpike at Business 51 remains closed.
- Traffic on Business 51 has been reduced to one lane in each direction between Mac Arthur Way and Minnesota Avenue. All traffic on Business 51 has been shifted to the newly constructed northbound lanes.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week:
- Crews will continue working on the median curb and gutter on County HH east of Business 51.
- Crews will resume work on the concrete pavement in the Tommy’s Turnpike intersection with Business 51.
- Crews will begin tying steel reinforcement for the new bridge deck over McDill Pond.
- Crews will continue installing the remaining storm sewer items from Elm Street to Cedar Street.
Highway: WIS 66
Location: At the bridge over the Plover River, between Country Club Drive and Ridge Road.
Schedule: July 15, 2019 to late September
- WIS 66 is currently open to two lanes of traffic in each direction until a polymer overlay can be placed.
- When polymer overlay is placed, traffic on westbound WIS 66 will be reduced to one 11’ max width lane and the speed limit will be reduced from 40 mph to 30 mph
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will clean-up project limits. There is a 28-day cure on the bridge deck until the polymer overlay can be applied. Earliest anticipated date for polymer overlay placement is September 12.
Highway: WIS 22
Location: Between County B and Zingler Street & Main Street and County BE
Schedule: July 15, 2019 to November 1, 2019
- Single lane closures and 10-foot lane widths on WIS 22 between County HHH/Airport Road and County BE will continue through September.
- Single Lane Closures on WIS 22/Green Bay Street between Fairview Avenue and Airport Road will begin on Monday, September 16
- Rusch Road is anticipated to be closed at WIS 22 from September 11 to September 18
Anticipated work scheduled for next week, crews will:
- Grading and paving operations will continue on the north side of Murray Creek Box Culvert
- Crews to begin preparing for a traffic switch at Murray Creek Box Culvert
Highway: US 45
Location: WIS 70 East to WIS 70 West/ WIS 17 North
Schedule: August 12, 2019 to October 8, 2019
- Motorists can expect to encounter one lane traffic in both eastbound and westbound lanes on US 45/Pine Street between WIS 70 east and WIS 70 west intersections.
- Pedestrians should anticipate sidewalk closures and alternate routes at various locations and times throughout the project.
- Motorists should expect travel delays.
Anticipated work schedule for next week: Crews will continue installing curb & gutter, sidewalk, and ADA compliant ramps as well as beginning milling and paving operations from US 45 South/WIS 70 East Intersection to Railroad Street intersection.
Highway: US 10
Location: US 10 in Waupaca, between WIS 22 interchange through the Churchill Street interchange.
Schedule: August 26, 2019 through October 11, 2019
- Fall 2019: US 10 will remain open to a minimum of one lane of traffic in each direction during construction.
- 2020 Construction: US 10 will remain open to a minimum of one lane of traffic in each direction with eastbound and westbound traffic using the westbound lanes. County E, under US 10, will be closed for approximately five months (April thru mid-August 2020).
Anticipated work schedule for next week: Median construction.
Waupaca and Wood counties
(Regionwide Culvert Replacement)
Highway: WIS 110
Location: Between Wolf River Drive and WIS 96 in Fremont
Schedule: July 8, 2019 to November 1, 2019
Traffic impacts at WIS 110, Wolf River Bridge: Motorists can expect to encounter one lane crossing the bridge with temporary signals from July 8 thru mid-October with a maximum 14-foot width restriction.
Anticipated work schedule for next week: Crews will be working on the bridge approaches in the northbound lanes.
Highway: WIS 156
Location: WIS 22 to Shawano County Line
Schedule: June 10, 2019 to October 2019
Traffic impacts: WIS 156 will remain open to a minimum of one lane of traffic at all times. Temporary traffic signals will be used on the bridge over the Embarrass River.
Anticipated work schedule for next week: Crews will finish asphalt paving operations along WIS 156 from the intersection of WIS 156 and WIS 22 to the intersection of WIS 156 and Ashley Road.
Highway: WIS 97 (Central Avenue)
Location: Between Arnold street and Harrison street, city of Marshfield
Schedule: May 1, 2019 to mid-September 2019
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter one-lane traffic in each direction on WIS 97 between Arnold street and Harrison street. Crews will be working on the outside travel lanes of WIS 97 between Arnold street and Harrison street. Pedestrian access to businesses and schools will be maintained during construction.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week:
- Crews will be placing the wedge and binder layers at the outside lanes on WIS 97 and also at the side street intersections.
- After the binder layer is placed at the Doege Street intersection, Doege Street will be re-opened to traffic and the Arnold Street intersection will be closed to traffic.
- Crews will mill two inches off the existing concrete at the outside lanes at Arnold Street and remove concrete for the base patches.
- Crews will be sawing the concrete pavement for the base patches at Arnold Street.
- Crews will finish pouring concrete for the base patches, curb & gutter, and sidewalk at the outside lanes and at Arnold Street.
- Merkel will finish installing the traffic loops at Arnold Street and begin installing the signal poles and street light poles throughout the project.
Highway: WIS 54
Location: Bridge over the Yellow River, Town of Dexter
Schedule: September 4, 2019 to September 20, 2019
Traffic impacts: Road will be open on a single lane with temporary signals.
Anticipated work schedule for next week: Crews will build a containment system and start blasting for paint removal.