A homeowner was injured Sunday and her pet dog died in a fire that began in the kitchen of a Merrill-area home, officials said.

The fire was reported at about 4:45 p.m. at W2784 CTH P in the Lincoln County town of Pine River.

A deputy from the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department arrived on scene and attempted to put out the fire with an extinguisher, but was driven out by heavy smoke, police said. The blaze quickly grew but was contained mostly to the kitchen.

Photo courtesy of the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department, May 3, 2020

Firefighters worked for hours checking walls and ceilings int the 100-year-old farm house.

Become a supporter

If you read our coverage, please support our work.

The homeowner, a 50-year-old Merrill woman, was the only person inside the home when the blaze broke out. She was injured in the blaze and was transported by Merrill Fire to Aspirus Wausau Hospital. Her injuries are described as non life threatening.

The woman helped two dogs and two cats to escape the home but one dog remained inside. Firefighters located the dog during a search and attempted to revive the animal but were not successful.

Based on statements made by the homeowner it is believed the fire started on the stove.

Pine River firefighters were aided on the scene by the Towns of Corning, Hewitt, Texas and Russell Fire Departments as well as deputies and the Pine River First Responders.