Eminent domain is a massive power of government and should not be taken lightly. If the traffic estimates are reduced so drastically (40+% as mentioned in the meeting) is there still a compelling enough justification for the destruction of these homes and businesses? From the meeting it was said there was no cost/benefit analysis or success criteria defined.
- What is the City’s mitigation plan for the loss of the affordable and low income housing? Not at the individual level but the actual loss of these units to the City’s inventory. As was seen during the Annabelle Apartments debate, there are fewer and fewer options available and we have poverty rate higher than the national average.
- As of the meeting, no evaluation of the impact of first responders to the neighborhood was provided. I have not seen any further information on this.
- The primary goals of the project now have been stated to be a swifter flow of traffic through the neighborhood and improving safety. This plan at face value seems to include elements that are counter to that goal, (for example the bike lane). As was stated by Staff/AECOM in the informational meeting, no mapping of traffic accidents or predictive assessment of the design changes to safety were included in the contract for this project. How can we possibly sign off on a design that has not been assessed against the goals of the project?
- In addition to the lack of a safety assessment, as of the meeting there was no comparison of the estimated increase in the cost/maintenance required for the median design to potential alternatives (such as the shared turn lane option).
- And finally, why is the City of Wausau solely funding a project where now the primary goal is to route people through the neighborhood and into Rib Mountain businesses?
Catherine L. Kronenwetter, Wausau
Editor’s note: Wausau Pilot & Review gladly publishes letters to the editor about issues affecting residents in the Wausau area. Submit letters to email@example.com or by mail to P.O. Box 532, Wausau, Wis., 54402-0532. Please include your email and phone number for verification purposes only. Anonymous letters are not published.