The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (provides weekly road construction updates for counties in North Central Wisconsin: Adams, Green Lake, Florence, Forest, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Oneida, Portage, Price, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara, and Wood.
The following updates are for the week of July 1, 2019. Construction schedules are dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction progress.
Green Lake and Waushara Counties
Highway: WIS 49
Location: WIS 23 to South street (Green Lake to Berlin)
Schedule: May 13, 2019 to October 15, 2019
Traffic impacts: Shoulders will be closed at various locations in addition to intermittent flagging operations throughout the length of the project. Turn lanes at County AA (east and west), County V, and the climbing lane at County V are closed for reconstruction.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Remove, grade and prepare the turning lanes at County AA (east and west), County V, and County A. Extend climbing lane tapers at County A, Zobel County Park entrance, and McConnel Road.
Highway: WIS 64 (NEW)
Location: 5th Avenue Road to County P
Schedule: Work is scheduled to begin on July 1, 2019 with scheduled completion on July 30.
Traffic impacts: WIS 64 will remain open to through traffic at all times. Traffic will be reduced to one lane during daylight hours with flagging operations. Motorists should be aware that lane shifts will be required at the culvert replacement areas while culvert work is taking place.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Work is scheduled to begin July 1. During the first week of construction, crews plan to set up traffic and erosion control throughout the project. Crews will then begin constructing the lane shift at the planned culvert location near the east end of the project.
Highway: WIS 64 (Bridge Maintenance)
Location: Bridge over the Prairie River, City of Merrill
Schedule: May 14, 2019 to early August 2019
Traffic impacts: All lane closures have been removed.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will be on site to perform crack sealing of pier footing. Rip-rap placement will occur around the piers if water levels remain low.
Highway: WIS 86
Location: Between Price County line (County YY) and the Wisconsin River Bridge in Tomahawk
Schedule: June 12, 2019 to October 17, 2019
Traffic impacts: Traffic on WIS 86 will be reduced to a single lane with the use of flaggers during pavement sawing operations. All traffic lanes will be opened at the end of each work day. The full closure from County O to County E, for culvert and cable barrier replacements is still scheduled for July 15.
Detour: Traffic will be detoured via WIS 13, US 8, and US 51. Local traffic will be allowed as signed.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Asphalt patching at culvert pipe crossings.
Highway: County WW (Local Project)
Location: Wisconsin River Bridge, Brokaw (Village of Maine)
Schedule: April 22, 2019 to May 22, 2020
Traffic impacts: Traffic is currently maintained on a single lane, 10.5 feet in width, on the existing bridge with temporary traffic signals.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will form concrete barriers and conduct sawing operations.
Highway: WIS 153 (NEW)
Location: Andrys Lane to north County J
Schedule: Anticipated to begin on July 8, 2018 with completion on August 1, 2019
Traffic impacts: WIS 153 will be open to through traffic at all times for the duration of this project. The project shall be constructed under traffic with the use of flagging operations.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: There is no work scheduled until July 8.
Highway: WIS 22
Location: Main & Montello Streets, 5th Street to N Junction WIS 23
Schedule: April 30, 2019 – July 2019
Traffic Impacts: Pier work on the Montello and Fox River bridges began on June 17 and continues until July 31, 2019. Motorists can expect to encounter periodic flagging operations that will temporarily close a single lane over both bridges at times during this work.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Scour mitigation work will continue for the center pier of the Montello River and Fox River bridges.
Highway: WIS 23
Location: City of Montello
Schedule: April 15th, 2019 to November 15th, 2019
Traffic impacts: WIS 23 is closed from West Street to Park Street. Maps of local detours are posted at the website below.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will pour concrete sidewalk and curb and gutter and install base aggregate at intersection of Lake Street and WIS 23. Weather permitting, crews will complete excavation for north half of the outfall basin, grade and seed the outfall basin and paving operations.
Highway: WIS 82 and WIS 23
Location: WIS 82 (Adams/Marquette County line to Fandrich Street and Abbott Street to I-39), WIS 23 (I-39 to 8th Court)
Schedule: June 18, 2019 to August 30, 2019
- A five-day detour of WIS 82 will be required to replace the railroad crossing and deteriorated culverts.
- WIS 82 will be closed at the railroad on the east side of Oxford, between Abbott street and County I (Depot street), from June 24 to June 28, 2019. Pending weather, the closure may be extended to Saturday.
- There will be a signed detour route utilizing WIS 13, WIS 21 and I-39 / US 51
- Motorists can expect single lane closures and flagging operations during construction.
- A one-day detour of the I-39 northbound on and off ramps will be required to complete the milling and paving operations. This detour will not be in place during the 5-day detour.
- No work is allowed, so no closures are allowed, from 12 p.m. Wednesday, July 3, 2019 to 6 a.m. Monday, July 8, 2019 for Independence Day.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Finish culvert replacements within the railroad closure, patch asphalt over culvert pipes and at railroad. Milling and paving operations will also begin.
Highway: US 8 and WIS 47 intersection
Location: City of Rhinelander
Schedule: June 10, 2019 to October 18, 2019
Traffic impacts: Project currently has WIS 47 northbound and southbound traffic detoured around the intersection. Detour follows Boyce Drive and Kemp Street. Motorists will also encounter flagging operations, shoulder closures, and single lane closures. Map of detour can be found here: https://go.usa.gov/xyxEK
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Pavement and curb and gutter removal along with common excavation. A second crew will also begin storm sewer installation. Pavement sawing operations at project limits.
Oneida & Vilas Counties
Highway: US 51
Location: 3rd Avenue to Tuckaway Drive
Schedule: Spring 2018 to November 2019
Traffic impacts: US 51 will be open to four lanes of traffic from June 27 until July 8. Beginning July 8, US 51 will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction from Wallace Road to WIS 70. Traffic will be restricted to a 12-foot maximum width.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: No work is scheduled to occur next week due to the holiday.
Highway: Business 51
Location: Mac Arthur Way – Minnesota Avenue
Schedule: March 18, 2019 to Spring 2020
Traffic impacts: A full list impacts for the week of June 30 is available at the website below on the Traffic Impacts & Schedule tab.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week. Crews will:
- Work to pave the remaining section of the new northbound Business 51 lanes in the County HH intersection
- Work to complete restoration work between Porter Road and Minnesota Avenue on the east side of Business 51
- Begin removing pavement on the north half of County HH and from Cedar Street to Hickory Drive on the west side of Business 51
Shawano County (NEW)
Highway: WIS 22
Location: Between County B and Zingler Street & Main Street and County BE
Schedule: Project scheduled to begin on July 15, 2019
Traffic impacts: Motorists should expect lane closures and reduced lane widths throughout construction. In August, WIS 22 will be closed for three weeks to complete the railroad crossing, a signed detour route will be installed.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Construction Information Meeting is scheduled for July 9, 2019 at 3 p.m. at Shawano City Hall.
Waupaca and Wood Counties (NEW)
(Regionwide Culvert Replacement)
Highway: WIS 80, WIS 186, WIS 110
WIS 80: Between Rabbitt Lane and Ubinger Road, south of Pittsville (Wood County)
WIS 186: Between Apple Road and Jefferson Road, south of Vesper (Wood County)
WIS 110: Between Wolf River Drive and WIS 96 in Fremont (Waupaca County)
Schedule: Work on WIS 110 is scheduled to begin on July 8, 2019. Completion of all work scheduled for completion on November 1, 2019.
- WIS 110, Wolf River Bridge: Motorists can expect to encounter one lane crossing the bridge with temporary signals from July 8 thru mid-October with a maximum 14-foot width restriction. A two-day detour will also be used to replace bridge bearings, tentatively scheduled for late July, traffic will be detoured via US 10 during this detour.
- WIS 110, culvert replacement: Motorists can expect a 14-day detour of STH 110 for culvert replacements west of the bridge, between Wolf River Drive and CTH H (south), tentatively scheduled for mid-late August. Traffic will be detoured around via US 10.
- WIS 80: Motorists can expect to encounter one lane of traffic through the work zone with temporary signals with a maximum 11-foot width restriction. Work on these culverts is anticipated for September.
- WIS 186: Motorists can expect a one-day detour for this culvert removal. Traffic will be detoured via WIS 73 and County HH. Motorists can also expect single lane closures with flagging to complete the work. This work is anticipated for late September.
Anticipated work schedule for next week: Work begins on July 8, 2019.
Highway: WIS 22 bridges
Location: Wautoma – Clintonville, at bridges over:
(1) South Branch of the Little Wolf River
(2) Crystal River and
(3) Wisconsin Central Ltd. (CN) RR tracks
Schedule: May 14th, 2019 to August 2nd, 2019
Traffic impacts: Southbound lane closures on all three bridges. WIS 22 will remain open to traffic in both directions. Traffic will be controlled with flaggers and temporary traffic signals.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will continue jackhammering out weak, deteriorated concrete in the decks of the three bridges. They will also work on replacing the north halves of the expansion joints at bridge three. Crews will perform remaining concrete surface repairs.
Highway: WIS 156
Location: WIS 22 to Shawano County Line
Schedule: June 10, 2019 to October 2019
Traffic impacts: WIS 156 will remain open to a minimum of one lane of traffic at all times. Temporary traffic signals will be used on the bridge over the Wolf River.
Anticipated work schedule for next week: Crews will remove the containment on the east half and move it to the west half of the WIS 156 bridge over the Wolf River. Crews will not complete any work from noon on Wednesday, July 3 to Monday, July 8 at 6 a.m.