The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) provides weekly road construction updates for counties in North Central Wisconsin: Adams, Green Lake, Florence, Forest, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Oneida, Portage, Price, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara, and Wood.
The following updates are for the week of August 18, 2019. Construction schedules are dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction progress. This update can also be viewed online: https://projects.511wi.gov/weeklyupdates-nc/
Highway: US 2
Location: Michigan state line to Pewaubic Street in Florence
Schedule: Project is scheduled to begin on August 19, 2019 with a scheduled completion date of September 9, 2019.
Description: Crews will mill and pave back 1.5” of hot mix asphalt (HMA) pavement on US 2 between the Michigan state line and Pewaubic Street in Florence Wisconsin. This project will also include gravel shoulder work, pavement markings, rumble strips, minor guardrail work, and signing.
Traffic impacts: Motorists from can expect to encounter various flagging operations between the Michigan state line and Pewaubic Street in Florence. Motorists can expect to, at some point throughout the project, drive on a milled surface and encounter uneven lanes.
Highway: Old WIS 139/Forest Road 2404 (Local Project)
Location: Bridge over Little Popple River
Schedule: Project is scheduled to begin August 20, 2019 with completion in the beginning of October 2019.
Description: Crews will replace the existing single span concrete deck girder bridge with a single span flat concrete slab bridge, place base aggregate, and asphaltic surface approaches.
Traffic impacts: Closed to through traffic within the project limits. No specific detour route is included for the project.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will set up erosion and traffic control, clear brush, saw cutting, bridge deck removal and excavation work.
Green Lake County
Highway: WIS 49
Location: WIS 23 to South street (Green Lake to Berlin)
Schedule: May 13, 2019 to October 15, 2019
Traffic impacts: Shoulders will be closed at various locations throughout the project.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Guardrail replacement between South Street and Forest Ridge Road.
Highway: WIS 64
Location: 5th Avenue Road to County P
Schedule: July 8, 2019 to August 23, 2019
Traffic impacts: WIS 64 will remain open to through traffic at all times. Traffic will be reduced to one lane during daylight hours with flagging operations.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews plan to replace beam guard on the west side of Elton.
Highway: WIS 86
Location: Between Price County line (County YY) and the Wisconsin River Bridge in Tomahawk
Schedule: June 12, 2019 to October 17, 2019
Traffic impacts: Traffic on WIS 86 is reduced to a single lane with the use of flaggers during grading and asphalt patching operations. All traffic lanes will be opened at the end of each work day.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Concrete curb and gutter installation and grading.
Highway: WIS 17 and WIS 86
- WIS 17 over Big Hay Meadow Creek between Merrill & Bloomville
- WIS 86 over Wisconsin River (Lake Mohawksin) in the City of Tomahawk
Schedule: July 16, 2019 to May 2020
- Traffic on WIS 17 will be reduced to a single lane with the use of temporary traffic signals over Big Hay Meadow Creek.
- Traffic on WIS 86 will be reduced to a single lane with the use of temporary traffic signals over the Wisconsin River (Lake Mohawksin). Roadway will be reduced to 12 feet in this location.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Bridge deck overlay on WIS 86 and WIS 17. Bridge approach work on WIS 86.
Highway: County WW (Local Project)
Location: Wisconsin River Bridge, Brokaw (Village of Maine)
Schedule: April 22, 2019 to May 22, 2020
Traffic impacts: Traffic is currently maintained on a single lane, 10.5 feet in width, on the existing bridge with temporary traffic signals. Half of the bridge deck will be removed and constructed.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will continue to work on the bridge deck.
Highway: WIS 153
Location: Andrys Lane to County J North
Schedule: July 8, 2019 to August 1, 2019
Traffic impacts: WIS 153 will be open to through traffic at all times for the duration of this project. The project will be constructed under traffic with the use of flagging operations.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Project is complete.
Highway: WIS 23
Location: City of Montello
Schedule: April 15th, 2019 to November 15th, 2019
Traffic impacts: WIS 23 is closed from Park Street to Ellis Street. Park Street will be closed, but the intersection of Ellis Street will remain open.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week:
- Complete storm sewer installation on stage 3 (Park Street to Barry Street)
- Completed installation of all sanitary laterals and water services for stage 3
- Start installation of water main and sanitary sewer in stage 4 (Barry Street to Ellis Street)
- Grade subgrade on stage 3 (Lake Avenue to Barry Street
- Install aggregate base for stage 3 (Lake Avenue to Barry Street)
Highway: US 8 and WIS 47 intersection
Location: City of Rhinelander
Schedule: June 10, 2019 to October 18, 2019
Traffic impacts: Traffic switch starts on Tuesday, August 20. Once in place, traffic will start using the circle of the roundabout, but only the east, west, and north legs will be open. The south leg (WIS 47/US 8) will then be closed, and the contractor will begin reconstruction of that leg all the way to the Wisconsin River Bridge. US 8 traffic will use the Boyce Drive/Kemp Street detour to get around this closure now, and WIS 47 traffic will continue to use the detour as they have been since June. The only closed section of road will be WIS 47 from the roundabout, south to the signals at Boyce Drive.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Contractors will: finish base course application in the roundabout circle, continue pouring concrete truck aprons and sidewalk, construct sign bridge bases, begin pulling wire for street lighting and continue mainline paving.
Oneida & Vilas Counties
Highway: US 51
Location: 3rd Avenue to Tuckaway Drive
Schedule: Spring 2018 to November 2019
Traffic impacts: US 51 is reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction from Wallace Road to WIS 70. Traffic on US 51 is restricted to a 12-foot maximum width. Motorists should expect to encounter occasional flagging operations. Motorists are encouraged to consider using WIS 47 as an alternate route to avoid delays at peak tourist travel times.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will pave the driveways on the west side of the highway and surface of the southbound outside lane. Crews will move southbound traffic onto the new lane, remove the pavement as needed for the new inside southbound lane and install storm sewer pipe under the areas of removed pavement.
Highway: US 10
Location: From I-39 to County E, west of I-39
Description: Crews will place polymer overlays on six bridge decks; three on eastbound and three on westbound US 10.
Schedule: Project scheduled to begin on Monday, August 19, 2019 to mid-September 2019.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter lane closures in both directions on US 10. A regulatory speed limit reduction will be implemented with the project. The speed limit will be reduced from 65 mph to 55 mph.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Traffic control set up, shot blasting bridge decks, placement of polymer overlays.
Highway: Business 51
Location: Mac Arthur Way – Minnesota Avenue
Schedule: March 18, 2019 to Spring 2020
- On Monday, August 19, 2019 crews will place westbound traffic on the newly constructed westbound lanes of County HH. Traffic on County HH will remain reduced to one lane in each direction.
- The intersection of Locust Street and County HH on the north side of County HH has been reopened.
- Pedestrian traffic can resume utilizing the sidewalk on the east side of Business 51 and the south side of County HH.
- Tommy’s turnpike at Business 51 remains closed.
- Traffic on Business 51 has been reduced to one lane in each direction between Mac Arthur Way and Minnesota Avenue. All traffic on Business 51 has been shifted to the newly constructed northbound lanes.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week. Crews will:
- Adjust traffic patterns on County HH to allow for all median work to be completed.
- Pave the new southbound lanes from Hickory Drive to approximately 800’ north of Tommy’s Turnpike.
- Continue working on raising the bridge girders over McDill Pond.
- Continue working on installing the new watermain and water services.
- Continue installing the remaining storm sewer items from Elm Street to Cedar Street.
Highway: WIS 66
Location: At the bridge over the Plover River, between Country Club Drive and Ridge Road.
Schedule: July 15, 2019 to late September
Traffic impacts: Traffic will be diverted to the eastbound lanes with unidirectional traffic. The traffic lanes will be reduced to a maximum width of 11 feet and the speed limit will be reduced form 40 mph to 30 mph thru the construction zone.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Bridge deck curing, form walls and bridge wings.
Highway: WIS 22
Location: Between County B and Zingler Street & Main Street and County BE
Schedule: July 15, 2019 to November 1, 2019
- All lanes west of County HHH are anticipated to be open to traffic during the Shawano County Fair. Lane closures east of County HHH will remain. Lane closures and additional work will start back up after the fair.
- Single lane closures and 10-foot lane widths on WIS 22 between County HHH/Airport Road and County BE will continue through September.
- Single lane closures on WIS 22 between Main Street and County HHH will continue.
- WIS 22 (Green Bay Street) will remain closed at the railroad crossing between Hamlin Street and Ellis Street. A signed detour will be in place utilizing Main Street to WIS 29 to Airport Road. No access across the railroad will be allowed as it will be under construction. Access to businesses and residents within the closure limits will be maintained. Work along WIS 22 (Green Bay Street) outside the road closure limits will continue with lane closures, access to businesses and residents will be maintained.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week, crews will:
- Continue work on the new box culvert at Murray Creek.
- Continue milling and paving operations on Green Bay street between County HHH and Main street.
- Restoration and pavement marking operations will begin in paved areas.
Highway: County M (Local Project)
Location: Bridge over South Branch of Embarrass River, village of Tigerton
Schedule: Local project scheduled to begin on August 19, 2019 and tentatively scheduled for completion on October 31, 2019.
Description: Replacement of bridge and realignment of 1200 feet of County M
Traffic impacts: County M will be closed to thru traffic during construction. A detour route will be signed. Closure of County M scheduled for August 22, 2019.
Anticipated work scheduled for week of August 19: Closure of County M from Meisner Road to Schertz Lane (Spiegel Road), installation of erosion control devices, tree removal, asphalt pulverization and grading.
Highway: US 45
Location: WIS 70 East to WIS 70 West/ WIS 17 North
Schedule: August 12, 2019 to October 8, 2019
- Motorists can expect to encounter one lane traffic in both eastbound and westbound lanes on US 45 between WIS 70 east and WIS 70 west intersections.
- Pedestrians should anticipate sidewalk closures and alternate routes at various locations and times throughout the project.
- Motorists should expect travel delays.
Anticipated work schedule for next week: Crews will continue grading for new sidewalk areas, begin installation of curb and gutter, sidewalk and ADA compliant ramps. Electrical crews will begin traffic signal work at various intersections.
Highway: US 10 (NEW)
Location: US 10 in Waupaca, between WIS 22 interchange through the Churchill Street interchange.
Schedule: August 26, 2019 through October 11, 2019
- Fall 2019: US 10 will remain open to a minimum of one lane of traffic in each direction during construction.
- 2020 Construction: US 10 will remain open to a minimum of one lane of traffic in each direction with eastbound and westbound traffic using the westbound lanes. CTH E, under US 10, will be closed for approximately five months (April thru mid-August 2020).
Anticipated work schedule for next week. Work is scheduled to begin on Monday, August 26, 2019.
Waupaca and Wood Counties
(Regionwide Culvert Replacement)
Highway: WIS 110
Location: Between Wolf River Drive and WIS 96 in Fremont
Schedule: July 8, 2019 to November 1, 2019
Traffic impacts: WIS 110 – Wolf River Bridge: Motorists can expect to encounter one lane crossing the bridge with temporary signals from July 8 thru mid-October with a maximum 14-foot width restriction. WIS 110 will be closed to thru traffic west of Fremont, between Wolf River Drive and County H (south) from Tuesday, August 6 thru Tuesday, August 20. Traffic will be detoured on US 10. Traffic can use Exit 267 to get to downtown Fremont.
Anticipated work schedule for next week: Crews will continue working on deck preparation and joint repair of the northbound lanes on the bridge. Crews will be replacing various cross culverts between Wolf River Drive and County H (south) between August 6 thru August 20 while that section is detoured. Culvert replacement areas will be paved and shouldered prior to removing the detour.
Highway: WIS 156
Location: WIS 22 to Shawano County Line
Schedule: June 10, 2019 to October 2019
Traffic impacts: WIS 156 will remain open to a minimum of one lane of traffic at all times. Temporary traffic signals will be used on the bridge over the Embarrass River.
Anticipated work schedule for next week, crews will: Begin shot blasting and bridge painting on the east half of the WIS 156 bridge over the Embarrass River.
Highway: WIS 49
Location: Green Lake County Line to WIS 21 (Berlin to Auroraville)
Schedule: July 22, 2019 to August 29, 2019
Traffic impacts: Traffic may be stopped at intermittent flagging operations for paving and pavement marking.
Anticipated work schedule for next week: Contractor plans to begin milling and paving operations on Tuesday and finish paving on Friday.
Highway: WIS 54
Location: City of Wisconsin Rapids, 2nd Avenue South
Schedule: July 8, 2019 to August 26, 2019
Traffic impacts: Traffic restricted to one lane in each direction between the roundabout and WIS 13 (Riverview Expressway).
Anticipated work schedule for next week: Project is scheduled for completion.
Highway: WIS 97 (Central Avenue)
Location: Between Arnold street and Harrison street, city of Marshfield
Schedule: May 1, 2019 to August 29, 2019
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter one-lane traffic in each direction on WIS 97 between Arnold street and Harrison street. Crews will be working on the outside travel lanes of WIS 97 between Arnold street and Harrison street. Pedestrian access to businesses and schools will be maintained during construction.
Anticipated work scheduled for next week: Crews will continue grading and install inlets at the widening areas. Crews will set forms and pour concrete for base patches and curb and gutter at the southbound outside lane. Crews will also continue to work on traffic signals and street lights.
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin’s North Central region:
- Follow the DOT on Twitter @WisDOTNorthCent
- Visit the region’s 511 website: http://projects.511wi.gov/region/north-central/.