By Shereen Siewert
Fire officials in Merrill credit quick action and early detection in preventing a Tuesday garage fire from spreading.
Crews were dispatched Tuesday for a garage fire on Merrill Town Hall Road in the town of Merrill, according to Merrill Fire Chief Josh Klug. When crews arrived, smoke was billowing from the eaves and through the roof on the back side of the detached garage around the stove pipe. Firefighters performed an initial knockdown of flames from the inside of the garage, then used the attic ladder to access the upper area of the building and extinguish the flames.
Lincoln County Sheriff deputies, Wisconsin Public Service, and water tender from Pine River Fire Department also assisted at the scene. Merrill ambulance crew was also on scene after completing the EMS call they were on at the time of dispatch, Klug said.
The owner was home when the fire started and tried to extinguish the fire prior to the arrival of the fire department. The cause of the fire is attributed to new insulation surrounding the chimney, Klug said.
“This fire is one of those examples of how early detection, quick turnout time by our staff, and a short response time made a big difference in the outcome of the call,” Klug said.
The Town of Merrill, along with Towns of Scott and Rock Falls, contracts with the Merrill Fire Department for fire and rescue services.
All photos courtesy of the Merrill Police Department