By Shereen Siewert

All family members inside a Merrill-area home that burned overnight escaped without injury, officials confirmed Thursday.

Crews were called to the blaze just after 3 a.m. Thursday in the 1900 block of West Main Street in the town of Corning, west of Merrill.

A smoke detector alerted family members to the blaze and all, including the family’s pets, escaped the home unharmed.

Officials say the blaze appears to have started on the second floor of the two-story, single family home. The structure was badly damaged, but officials have not yet said if the home is a total loss.

Crews from the town of Corning Fire Department and Merrill Fire Department extinguished the blaze.

The cause of the fire has not yet been specified.