WAUSAU – Faced with a severe blood shortage because of an unprecedented number of blood drive cancellations during the COVID-19 outbreak, the American Red Cross is in urgent need of donors. The Landing at the Woodson YMCA Wausau Branch is asking healthy people to consider making a blood donation to help patients counting on lifesaving blood.
Two blood drives will be held in April:
- From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 2
- From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 22.
There are two ways to schedule your donation:
Visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS.
Use the entrance at The Landing patio door by Yawkey Park. There is free street parking on Fourth Street or the First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Franklin and N. Fourth Street.
The Red Cross has implemented additional precautions to ensure the safety of donors and staff, including:
• Checking temperatures of staff members and donors before entering a drive to make sure they are healthy.
• Providing hand sanitizer for use before the drive, as well as throughout the donation process.
• Following social distancing between donors, including entry, donation and refreshment areas.
• Increasing enhanced disinfecting of surfaces and equipment.
Before donating blood:
It is recommended that you enjoy a protein rich meal, hydrate yourself well, be well rested and wear a comfortable shirt with sleeves that can be rolled up easily.
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. People who are 17 years of age in most states (16 with parental consent where allowed by state law), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood.