MADISON – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources reminds boaters this summer to help protect waters from aquatic invasive species.
Following the steps below helps boaters comply with Wisconsin state law, which prohibits the transport of aquatic invasive species.
- Inspect boats, trailers and equipment for attached aquatic plants or animals.
- Remove all attached plants or animals
- Drain all water from boats, motors, livewells and other equipment
- Never move live fish away from a waterbody
- Dispose of unwanted bait in the trash
- Buy minnows from a Wisconsin bait dealer
- Only use leftover minnows when either 1) fishing with them on the same body of water or 2) on other waters if no lake/river water or other fish have been added to the container.